Monday, December 31, 2007

Smarty Pants

"Should we get I-C-E-C-R-E-A-M?" That's what Sean said/spelled to me yesterday. Katie stopped playing, ran over and said, "Oooo... yeah, I want to go get ice-cream, can we? Please?" This is not a word we spell often, we don't have it that often so we were a little surprised. I guess we shouldn't be, since last summer Katie picked up on "P-O-O-L", but we just figured that one was used often. Later, as we were pushing Katie in the cart at Target she was singing a song from Super Why! "I really love to spell, S-P-E-L-L. I really love to spell, S-P-E-L-L!"

This morning, Katie noticed four items sitting in our living room. 2 were boxes of diapers, one was a box of refill wipes and the fourth was a 12 pack of toilet paper. We heard her talking to herself, she commented, "This one is tall, this one is medium and this one is small." I knew that she could tell the difference between two objects but that she threw a third in there was pretty impressive to us... maybe the expectations I had for a two and a half year old aren't what they should have been, or maybe we have a smarty-pants on our hands!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you have one s-m-a-r-t-y p-a-n-t-s on your hands. Keeping ahead of a child like that is a challenge, but you can meet it. You were pretty much of a "smarty pants" yourself.

Anonymous said...

From Gramma to daughter to granddaughter - must be in the genes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, absolutely, from the gene and from person Kristin met too :-P

(A small part of that was from her conversations with friends who live in Asia?)