Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Fish

I had not realized that two-and-a-half year olds had imaginary friends or pets, I thought this was something that started a bit later, I guess I was wrong. Yesterday morning on the way to school Katie was "fishing" with her slinky off the edge of the seat, she caught a fish and I asked, "Is it a big fish?" to which she replied, "No, it's very little, tiny." I asked her what color it was and she said, "Orange and Yellow." I said, "Is it's name Goldie?" and she said, "Yes." Then she asked me if it was a boy or a girl. Upon arriving at school Katie climbed out of the van and I noticed that she was keeping her hand cupped - she informed me that she was holding her fish and taking it to school to show her teachers. So we walked into the school and waited outside the classroom door with several other parents who noticed that my daughter was standing there with her hand cupped. "She caught a fish on the way to school." I said by way of explanation. They smiled, nodded, and asked Katie a few questions about her fish. The teacher opened the door and Katie showed her fish off to the teacher and aide. I told her to have a great day and as I left I saw her sitting down playing with playdough with her right hand and cupping her fish in the left hand. I chuckled and figured this would be the end of it... I was wrong.
When I picked Katie up from school she came running out all smiles like normal and then with her hand cupped told me that "Nemo" had a good day today too. We came home and she asked where she could put her fish. The fish enjoyed the afternoon playing, eating tortellini (my daughter's idea of a great after-school snack), and watching cartoons.
Daddy came home and was introduced to "Nemo" who at various times throughout the afternoon was also called "Dorothy" and "Goldie". We took Nemo with us outside on our evening walk and the fish was placed in the cup-holder on Ryan's stroller for safe-keeping. Nemo stayed there until bath time when Katie ran to get him and took him in the bath with her. Before bed Nemo had to have one last drink of water and then was carefully placed in bed so that he could listen to the bedtime stories. I haven't heard mention of the fish this morning and haven't asked, we'll see if he shows up again or if that was just yesterday's "friend"!

2 comments:

Kathy Eden said...

That's hilarious!!! Yes, that's the right age for them to start doing things like that. Phoebe never had "imaginary" friends. She brought along "real" people who weren't actually with us such as The Wiggles & Jesus. Yes, I know Jesus is with us...but you know what I mean. She would have Jesus sit in the seat next to her & I would have to buckle him in.
I remember having to wait patiently as all of The Wiggles got into the van & put their seat belts on before I could go.

Katrina said...

How cute! She's got such a great imagination!