Thursday, January 3, 2008

I Suppose I Shouldn't Admit This

I suppose I shouldn't admit that the TV is on as much as it is at our house - especially the past few days... and usually it's a kid show, but every once in awhile I indulge myself in one of "my" shows. These are usually things like Top Chef or The Next Food Network, I can record the whole marathon and then watch them as I have time. Most of the time Katie is playing with her toys and just glances over occasionally - I suppose if I have a New Years Resolution it's probably needing to do better at turning it off... especially on days when we're mostly indoors. (Don't laugh too hard, Katrina, but it's been COLD and windy here the past couple of days - not reaching above 50 - and we don't have the cold weather gear for bundling up.) Anyway... I realized today how much Katie was picking up on my shows when I asked her to help me bake bread in the kitchen. As I set up her little table with the bowl and we went through the list of ingredients Katie looked at me and said excitedly, "This is a great competition - it's in the bag!" Cracked me right up, but in order to share I had to admit to my TV watching moments, please don't nominate me for worst mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you think you got hooked at an early age on "All My Children"? TV is often a great adult companion to the stay at home Mom. I admire your desire to limit it. (At least your child is seeing food preparation and competitions.)

Kristin said...

For the record I am no longer hooked on AMC... had a brief relapse shortly after Katie was born but now it's off limits!

Katrina said...

Ok, I tried not to laugh too hard, but couldn't help it...cold weather in Orlando is just not possible! Two nights ago it was 2 degrees out when we went to bed and the wind chill was between -15 and -20. Now that's cold! I was such a wimp back when I lived in FL. Back then I thought anything below 60 was chilly. Now that I'm a Wisconsinite, it's got to be below freezing before I even get out a jacket heavier than my fleece! BTW...I thought I'd mention I'm still hooked on AMC. We DVR it everyday and watch when we can. I think we're only a week behind now. Scary how addicting it can be...but we will have to give it up once Brendan is born. There just won't be any time for it with a toddler and a newborn to take care of!

Kathy Eden said...

That's great! Her & Phoebe should get together...Phoebe likes to watching the cooking shows too & will go to the table with a bunch of "stuff" & say, "Welcome to today's cooking show...today we will be making (such & such)." It's a hoot!

Anonymous said...

You ladies should get hooked on the Home and Garden channel like my wife is.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is such a story of our time with flowing media and media and media. Maybe Kristin knows deep inside what she is good at and long for; out in nature or doing some activities? it is a better choice for sure, if we can choose.

Middle way of everything is the best. Don't hook with too much with received information until forgetting to find your own joy!

I'm normally not good with things without life, like TV :-)