Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bread Making

We finally used our bread machine again yesterday! It was a wedding gift and we used it fairly often when we first got married, then we moved to Virginia, had a tiny kitchen and so it was packed away. That was also around the time that we started having kids and bread-making just wasn't on the top of the priority list. Anyway, when we moved into our larger apartment we found we had plenty of counter space and so the bread maker has been sitting there. Yesterday Katie started asking if we could make cookies, I really wasn't in the mood (Ryan had not slept well the night before so neither had I!) and then I remembered that we had a bread mix so I asked her if she wanted to help make bread.
Katie was so excited to help pour in the mix, add the water, and then to keep peeking at what was happening. We watched it go from powder to a small dough ball, then rising and getting bigger and bigger. Finally, when we came inside from our evening walk it was time to take the warm, fresh bread from the machine. As I popped the loaf out to show Katie she said, "Oh, is it manna?" with such awe. Obviously I had to tell her that no, it was bread and that only God can make manna, but she was still excited to eat her bread and has been asking for small pieces all day today!

1 comment:

Kathy Eden said...

That's awesome! Phoebe & I will be making 6 dozen cookies next week for a prison ministry. Can you send Katie up to help? :o)