Thursday, August 7, 2008

First Haircut

Before the HaircutOn Saturday, July 26th we took Ryan to get his first haircut. We thought we would go to the same place where we had Katie's done. It hardly seems fair that our little girl was a fuzz head until she was almost 2 while the boy was born with a head of hair. At any rate I had called two different places on Friday to set up the appointment. The first place they told me that they no longer take pictures of the first haircut and so I opted to go with the second place where they assured me that they still took a Poloroid. We made a 2pm appointment and showed up at Cool Cuts in Sanford at 1:50pm. We signed in and waited. Then we waited some more while they took every other customer in there, even though I had read the sign-in sheet and they were almost all walk-ins. At 2:20 they finally acknowledge me when I stood there with Ryan in my arms, "Did you sign in ma'am?" Um, yeah, I signed in for my 2 o'clock appointment 30 minutes ago. Next thing we knew 3 of the 4 people in red smocks were standing around the cash register and looking at the sign-in sheet debating whether walk-ins had been taken before an appointment or not - they decided that since the other people had walked in literally 1 minute before us that they were justified in taking that person first. We had not a single apology. We should have walked out at that point but we were still game, after all the kids were born in different states, different hospitals at least they could share the same location for their first haircuts! They told us to choose a seat - well the same car Katie had sat in was available - although now it is rusty and missing the steering wheel, but the other car had a client so we took it anyway. We waited another 5 minutes and then the person we had an appointment with came over. I said, "This is his first haircut." She says, "Ever?" I said, "Yes, that's why we came here because of the poloroids." "Oh, we can't do that, I can give you a card but the camera doesn't have any film." WHAT??? I called yesterday and double-checked that you could do this... at this point Ryan was fussing, we'd waited long enough and I wasn't letting them touch one hair on his head... we left. It would have been a more effective walk-out if we wouldn't have forgotten the diaper bag!
Sunday, July 27th we took Ryan for his first haircut. We went after he had napped through church. We went to Hair Cuttery and walked in with no appointment. We had our own camera. They had me sit and hold him and then they worked with us and we got his hair cut. We didn't carry his hair home in a nice little plastic card but we were given a styrofoam cup to make sure we had the momento for the baby book!
After the Haircut

3 comments:

Kathy Eden said...

What a handsome boy!!! He's going to laugh when he's older about how difficult it was to get his first hair cut :o)

Katrina said...

Love the new haircut! It's amazing how that first haircut makes them look so much older!

Anonymous said...

Carolina Gram says, "I love the new look, too." Even got to see it in person, which was really, really nice.